Example: Water Jet Striking a Stationary Plate
- Calculate the pressure force.
- Calculate the body force.
- Calculate the total force.
- Calculate the resultant force.
- The pressure force is zero as the pressure at the inlet, and the outlets to the control volume are atmospheric.
- As the control volume is small, we can ignore the body force due to the weight of gravity.
- Fx = ρ.Q.(w1x – w2x) = 1000 . 1 . (1 – 0) = 1000 N
Fy = 0
F = (1000, 0)
- The resultant force on the plane is the same magnitude but in the opposite direction as the total force F (friction and weight are neglected).
The water jet exerts on the plate the force of 1000 N in the x-direction.